Friday, October 10, 2008

New Countertops

This blog was apparently feeling neglected, which must be the reason for us already having to replace our kitchen countertops. Seriously though, I haven't been happy with the countertops since the day that we moved in. So here's a little history behind the madness......


We chose Corian because we had seen a countertop color that we loved actually on a set of cabinets that are the same color as ours. They looked great in person in the showroom. Also, when we were choosing our cabinets, the sales woman insisted that we go with Corian because it is SOOOOO wonderful and it was in our budget. We asked a few times about Granite, but were told that we didn't want Granite because it was porous, couldn't be sanded, and it was out of our budget. Fine! We went with our Corian.


I still loved the color of the countertops in our house when it was put in and figured that maybe I was just too anal and thought that everything should be perfect. Richard decided to have the cabinet/countertop people come out and take a look. Again, they said, "This is the way that Corian is." They sanded a few spots, this time leaving swirl marks all over the countertops. They came back a second time and resanded, which removed the swirl marks, but they still looked awful in my opinion.


Finally, Richard demanded that the manager or owner of the store contact us. After much discussion and back and forth negotiation, they finally agreed to give us our money back. YIKES!! We got what we wanted, but now what were we going to replace them with? Remember, granite was OUT OF OUR BUDGET!!! Come to find out, that cabinet/countertop shop didn't even sale granite countertops which is why she would never entertain us with granite quotes. Richard called a place that sales only granite and surprise, surprise, we could have granite for the same price.


Our dilemmas continued because now we had to choose a color. We both LOVE the darker colors, but decided that all of the natural light that comes in through our windows was causing us to see all of the swirls, marks, etc. on the countertops. We knew we had to go with a light color. Granite is just so busy, it was so difficult to decided. Finally, we decided after much indecision. Here are the results. It is going to take me a while to get used to it, but I do like it. I think it looks much classier. Poor, Kamdyn, will just have to get used to it. After all of this, we are stuck with these countertops for a LONG while! The End!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I THINK THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!

Anonymous said...

I think they lighten up your kitchen. They look Great! even if you didn't go with PINK!LOL

Denise said...

Wow! They look sooooo good!

Jess said...

I think they go very nicely w/ the cabinets =) Kamdyn will love them in time =)

Lee Wilkes said...

They look great!